Sunday, May 24, 2015

Barstow the first leg of the return


Day 35    May 10, 2015
Barstow Route 66

Heading toward Barstow.  After a very (yea) non-eventful trip we arrive at Barstow.  I had much worry during the night about the major “hill” between Bakersfield and Mojave.  We were able to top the hill with a minimum speed of 38 mph.  That wasn’t too bad based on the number of tractor-trailers we passed on the way up.  Around Mojave we saw acres and acres of windmills (power generators).   I really wonder how much power is generated by all of these.  We arrived earlier than planned and took advantage of it to go into town and explore.  This was quite a town in the days of Route 66, but today the town is not in too good of shape.  
One of many "dead" motels
Motel after motel are closed and left with a dismal look.  There is a small museum in the old railroad hotel dedicated to Route 66. 
Route 66 Museum
I was expecting to see things I had never seen being that it was from so long ago.  But everything looked like the items I grew up with.  There was a red 64 ½ Mustang convertible,
64 1/2 Mustang with no dents
just like the first car I ever dented.  There was a collection of cameras almost exactly like the one I have at home.  I left thinking that maybe I live in a museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment