Sunday, May 24, 2015

Moab -- WOW


Day 37   May 12, 2015

Because we have heard from the weather forecasters that the wind will be picking up today we wanted to get an early start.  We did “good” by doing this. 
The only strong gusty wind we hit was about 5 miles from Moab.  Since the winds did not give us much of an issue, we were lucky enough to enjoy some beautiful scenery, as we climbed up and down some really tough “hills”.   The area along I-70 from I-15 to the Moab turn off was absolutely gorgeous.  At one point we read a sign that said that there will be no services available for 110 miles.  I thought that this wasn’t possible on an interstate highway at this time.  Boy was I wrong.  Through the some of the toughest hills that we have encountered, there wasn’t any help if we needed it.  In fact, as we came down one of the steepest and longest hills, the tractor trailer behind me hit a curb and blew a tire and destroyed a rim.  We heard the tire blow and weren’t sure it was or wasn’t us.  There was a pull over in a half mile or so that we pulled into to check out our RV.   The tractor pulled in also and that is when I saw what had happened to him.  We still were 30 miles from any service.  I asked if I could assist him in any way.  He said that his satellite system would take care of him.  So, I wished him good luck and hit the road.  Neither Jan nor I had ever been into Moab and we had no idea what to expect.  Driving the last 30 miles into Moab we experienced some spectacular red mountains on each side of the road. 
Then as we crossed the Colorado River the canyon opened into a magnificent valley and into Moab.  This is not a sleepy town at all.  Even though the streets are wide the traffic was heavy.   All along the main street there were restaurants, bike rental stores, 4-wheeler rentals and art galleries.  This is truly a town that caters to the active outdoor people.

No comments:

Post a Comment