Monday, August 14, 2017

A last day on PEI


August 14

Last day on Prince Edward Island

Since we have made a fairly good tour of this island, we needed to go to the North West area today.  Since this has become a lighthouse


chase during our visit, we knew that there were a few in the North West to see.  Of course we wanted to look any extraordinary churches along the way.



One thing we ran across today was a wind farm on the western side of the island. 

There are over 86
windmills in this area.  I had Jan stand next to one of the blades to show how large the blades are.

Earlier, I had mentioned boats on blocks. 

My photos did not show this as well as I would like.  I hope these pictures show it better.

Another thing I have noticed, on this visit, is that a lot of folks buy their firewood in 8-10’ lengths then cut and split it for their use.  It amazes me how many do this.  We were told today that some people use between 8-10 cords of wood a winter. 
Of  so course this depends on the severity of the winter.  One person told me that the average snow was 20 cm (nearly 8”).  However, their snow starts in late November and lasts until late May.  A couple years ago they had a really severe winter and the snow did not melt until July.

I have to admit, I thought I could work with the metric system okay.  I have been fooled.   In running we talk kilometers,  so I thought  this would be easy.  It allows me to work distances and speed.  But I fall short on volumes and lengths (short).  Even though I really wish the US was on the metric system I can see it would take a while to learn it.

By the way, we don’t like mosquitoes.  These are almost “no see ums”.   We are finding they get us even when we use the spray.

Tomorrow we head for Nova Scotia.

No comments:

Post a Comment