Saturday, August 19, 2017

Peggy's Cove


August 18

The trip to Halifax was like, for all of our trips, totally uneventful.  However, I don’t think I’ve ever wondered what a GPS was doing more than I did today.  We seemed to go in circles from time to time.  But in the mean time it came through for us.  I don’t like to trust a GPS but our maps don’t have the streets on them.

When we pulled into our campground, I asked if there might be a short cut to Peggy’s Cove.


  This is both an old fishing village (1810) and a light house.  The original settlers received a land grant from the King of England.  My thought was that if we went this afternoon we would beat the crowds of tomorrow (Saturday).  The theory was good but when we got to the cove, we found it covered with people.  I don’t think we have been anywhere that had this many people covering such a small area.  I’ll bet there were nearly 500

people covering the rocks around the light house.  They looked like ants, scurrying from point to point.  There was no way to make picture of the complete light house without people in it.  I noticed as we were about to leave that I could get one shot with just a couple of people in it, so I took it.  This community is built on solid granite.  In fact the original settlers had to take the dead back inland to bury them. 







On the way back, there was a plaque on the side of the road to commemorate the loss of SwissAire flight 111 in 1998.  This flight went down about 6 miles off the coast.  Rescue and recovery operations took place from this place.  There were 222 people lost on this flight.

Tomorrow we’ll go into Halifax, weather permitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment