Thursday, April 9, 2015

Hiking the lower trails in Palo Duro Canyon


Day 5   April 9, 2015

Today, we drove over to Palo Duro Canyon, to some of their trails.   As we traveled over there, there was slight haze in the sky.  But as we reached the floor of the canyon, the haze had evaporated.  We had two trails that we wanted to do.  Our first trail ran into our second trail at 3 miles.  Since we started fairly early, the sun was coming from our backs and put a great light on the red rocks and the other cliff faces.  The formations from erosion were very pretty.  We made a plan for me to walk with Jan the first 3 miles then I would go from there to the “Lighthouse” formation and then I would do a return walk on the trail back to the Lighthouse trailhead.  While we hiked out, no one else on the trail.  We agreed that this trail is in the top 10 of our hikes.  I’ll have to say that my hike back to the Lighthouse trailhead was not anywhere near as nice as the trail out.  It was really a crowded trail on my way in.  But before I turned back toward the trailhead I went on to the Lighthouse.  It was fun looking at it as I hiked along toward it.  At the base of the climb up was a bike stand for the cyclist that rode the trail.  From there it was a vertical climb to the Lighthouse.  On this trail I met my first people of the day as they did a controlled slide back down to the trail.  On the platform that formed the base of Lighthouse I saw a small group of folks.  Two of group were from Sweden and this was their first hike in Texas.  They seemed to be impressed as we looked out over the canyon.  As I proceeded back to the trailhead, I met group after group of hikers on their way out to the formation.  At one point, I met 3 cyclists on their mountain bikes going out the trail.  This was a perfect trail for cyclist.  When Jan and I met at the trailhead we had lunch and she talked me into another trail before we came back out of the canyon today.  The next little trail was a good way to settle our lunch.  Nice but not spectacular.  We were spoiled this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment