Sunday, August 29, 2010

Homeward Bound Day 1 & 2




Aug.27: We arose early and departed the beautiful Tetons about 6:30. As we drove away from the mountains, the sun was beginning to hit the tips of the Tetons. With the clouds hanging about half way up the mountains and the sun peaking through, it was a wonderful closing to a great visit. We took highway 287; it is a diagonal high way that crosses the US. We started to climb as we drove away and at about 9500’ we came to a pass in the mountains. I wish I could tell you that it was a great experience but, I can’t. The road was under construction up there and there was nothing left to do but to wait on the flagman to let us through. I should tell you the flagman was dressed in a heavy coat with a fur hood and big mittens, oh; I forgot to tell you it was cold. After about 10 minutes of waiting the pilot car lead us over the pass and down 10 miles of road under construction. What I failed to mention was that construction was all the way to the dirty, which was not dirt after the last nights rain and the on and off showers as we drove down the road. There we times that I had to make sure that I did not stop the RV knowing that I would probably be there until the construction crew pulled me out. Yes they would have because there was not room for anyone to go around me. After the 10 miles at less than 15 mph our RV and car looked like we had been in a mud derby and we won for the most mud. At the bottom of the mountain we snaked along a beautiful river through rocks that were beautiful red rock canyons. This road never seemed to develop a shoulder thus making the trip rather interesting. Finally we arrived at I-80 from there we went on to Laramie and back on 287 for the shortest way to Loveland, CO. Sure the two lane roads are interesting but, next time I take the two lane roads I think I’ll stick to driving a car instead of a 38’ motorhome with a car towed behind. Just after we arrived in Loveland, we were joined by Jan’s sister and brother-in-law, Joan and Al Moxon. They took us to a wonderful supper and then on to their home in Longmont. What a great visit. It is a shame that we don’t see them more often. Back to the RV campground for a less than satisfactory night of sleep. Concern was drifting into my sleep about the RV as we drive back through Kansas City and St. Louis. I forgot to mention our backup camera went out somewhere on the off road area earlier in the day.

Aug. 29: Again rising fairly early, we hit the road about 6:50 this morning to avoid the Denver traffic. Success, just as we drove through, we heard on the radio about someone having an accident just after we had driven by. We probably scared them to death. Nothing of any consequence happen until we crossed into Kansas. We have all heard about Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz, well today, even though our winds were straight lined, I was afraid the Kansas winds were going to take us to meet Dorothy. We drove nearly 200 miles with our “prairie schooner” acting as a giant sail. Our winds were a direct cross for our path and at 40+ mph they made for a real white knuckle drive. Our intent was to go through Kansas City but the winds slowed our travel so much that we stopped in Abilene, KS for the night. Even though the odometer shows just a little over 420 miles today, I think we could have only traveled 350 if I had not been weaving all over Kansas. Tomorrow we’ll try to get through Kansas City just after rush hour and then on to St. Louis, hoping to beat rush hour. Our fingers are crossed.
Jan made all the pictures as we traveled.

No comments:

Post a Comment